A good friend of mine recently bought an apartment. It’s located in a really funky part of town and I know she’ll be very happy there. A house is a dream of everyone and when they get one, they want to decorate it in the best possible way. Hers is only a one bedroom place and so she doesn’t have much space. She came to me recently for advice about how to decorate it. We spent some time exploring her different options. I was so inspired by the process I thought I’d blog about what I discovered.
Amazing decorative tips for small apartments
It’s not an easy task to decorate small apartments or small spaces but by following these tips, you can get some great results:
- You can give more space to your small apartment by choosing a ‘French villa’ colour scheme. White colour on the walls gives it a more open and spacious feelings along with a calming effect. You can also place a lamp on the kitchen counter table to add some warmth.
- Buy a four or six seated dinning table for multi use such as a breakfast table, serving table or a centre table. Also try to use small side tables for coffee instead of a large coffee table so that less space is taken up.
- Use different innovative storage solutions such as small baskets to slide under your bed or seating areas. There is so much unused space in these places and with a small apartment it makes sense to take advantage of these.
Use your creativity!
- Your creativity will be reflected by your ability to use every square inch of space. For example, you can transform the staircase landing into a bar or into an amazing bookshelf.
- The reflection technique can also be used to lighten up a small area. A mirrored wall gives you an illusion of more space as does a glass table! Use these to really open up a room.
- Use a floor lamp with a skinny stand to create the ideal lighting solution without taking up much space. Light is the key to creating a perception of space.
- Mounted floating shelves can also be used to store items. They look perfect for small settings as they give a sleek and modern look and take up no valuable real estate on the floor.
- Clear and shiny surfaces such as glass, acrylic and lucite makes the task of creating space much easier. Try to stick to these rather than surfaces with matte finishes.
Well there you have it. Some of the key lessons I learnt whilst helping my friend with her small apartment. I loved the challenge of decorating a small space and I hope these tips will help you.